The Nevada Police Department is now accepting applications for our 2017 Citizens Police Academy scheduled to begin on April 5, 2017. This program provides citizens with an inside look at the operations of their police department. The program is a lecture and interactive based program to allow the citizen to view community policing from the law enforcement perspective.
The program will continue for eight weeks, meeting every Wednesday from 7pm to 9pm beginning April 5th through May 24th. Most classes will be held at the Nevada Police Department.
Applications can be obtained at the Nevada Police Department or at www.nevadamo.gov and will be accepted now through March 29, 2017..
The program will include:
- Department Orientation
- 911 Communications and Emergency Dispatching
- Jail Tour
- Traffic Stop Interactive Training
- Criminal Law
- Domestic Violence
- Sex Offenses
- Animal Control
- Criminal Scene Investigation
- Traffic Enforcement
- Drug Recognition
- Neighborhood Watch
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT)
- Interested persons must complete a Police Academy Application to attend.
- Interested person must be at least 18 years of age.
- No Felony convictions
- No domestic assault, drug, or violent crime arrest.
- Must be able to, perform light physical activities.
- Dress will be casual unless advised by the instructor the Wednesday before.
- All Materials needed for the class will be provided by the Nevada Police Department
If you have questions in regard to the class or requirements contact:
Lt. Steve Bastow
Why attend the academy?
The idea of the academy is to allow the citizens of the community to see what the police do and how we do it. It opens the doors of the Nevada Police Department to the citizen, and allows interaction with the Police Officers that work in their community. Citizen will better recognize crime and safety issues in their daily lives to help protect their family and friends.
Once interested citizen attend the academy they will see the commitment by the police officers to make their city safe, and will be members of the Nevada Police Academy Alumni. This in turn will open avenues to participate in neighborhood watch and other programs sponsored by the Nevada Police Department.
The Nevada Police Department, and the citizens of Nevada, is the foundation of our community. The Nevada Police Citizens Academy helps forge the foundation and partnership of Community Oriented Policing.